Officers, N.C.O.s and Men of the 1st Battalion, Buried in Tuileries British Cemetery

This cemetery contains 95 burials of the 1914-1918 war, 14 of which are “Known Unto God“, plus 3 French.

This cemetery is situated on the grounds of an old tile works, which is the meaning of ‘Tuileries‘. It was started in 1915 but subsequently destroyed by shellfire during the war, as its chimneys were an ideal target for enemy guns.

The cemetery is now set out with all the graves around the edge of the plot, as it was found to be impossible to identify the exact location of each grave when the cemetery was rebuilt after the Armistice.

The Cemetery contains 2 soldiers of the original 1st Battalion, Cheshire Regiment. Use the links below to read more about them.

…. use this link to get a full list of all Soldiers buried in this Cemetery


Private 9282 Peter William GREEN – Company n/k            

Grave: Sp. Mem. E. 5.    Killed in Action: 12 April 1915      Age: 22

Personal: Peter was born in St Peter’s Parish, Birkenhead, Cheshire, on 1st January 1894, the son of Peter and Elizabeth (née Allen ?) Green. He had a younger brother, Edward James Green (see below), and a sister, Mary Emily.

Edwards attended St. Peter’s Schools, Birkenhead and before his enlistment was employed as a “Carter“. [Source:De Ruvigny’s Roll of Honour, 1914-1919′]

Union Workhouse, Birkenhead

The 1901 Census (RG 13/3399) shows Peter and his brother Edward resident (‘Inmate‘) of the Union Workhouse, Tranmere, Liverpool (left).

By 1911 (Census RG 14/21979) Peter was back living with his mother, older brother, Edward James, and younger sisters, Emily and Rose Elizabeth, at 19 Hope Street, Birkenhead.

On 12th July 1914 Peter married Annie Brie at St Alban’s Church, Liverpool. They had one daughter, Hannah, born on 30th August 1915, i.e. 4 months after he was killed.

The “Register of Soldiers’ Effects“shows that in September 1915 Hannah received his total effects of £5 18s 7d [£5.93 – equivalent to about £470 today – 2020]. In July 1919 she received a further £3 [£135 today] as a War Gratuity.

Peter’s Pension Record Card shows that his family were living at 21 Livingston Street, Birkenhead, but not what the value of his Pension was.

Pt Green’s Grave – Sp. Mem. E. 5.

Military Service: Peter enlisted in the Cheshire Regiment at Birkenhead, Cheshire. Currently his Army records are unavailable, probably destroyed in Second World War bombing. However, his Army Serial Number would suggest an enlistment date in 1909.

If his terms of enlistment had been 3 + 9 (i.e. 3 years active service, followed by 9 years reserve), Edward would have been transferred to the Reserve List in 1912/1913 and recalled to the Battalion at the outbreak of the War.

Peter’s Medal Index Card shows he entered France on 18th December 1914, not the 16th August when the rest of the Battalion arrived.

The War Diary states that on the 24th December: “‘B’ & ‘D’ Coys in trenches at WULVERGHAN. ‘A’ & ‘C’ Coys in billets.  Capt. Lloyd, Lt. Mares, 2/Lt. Hazeon, 2/Lt. Rhodes & 2/Lt. Michener & 444 N.C.O.s & men joined from England. 1 man wounded.” so it could be that Peter was one of these from the Reserve.

According to Peter’s entry in the De Ruvigny’s Roll of Honour, 1914-1919′, “He was killed in action at Ziebeck on 12th April 1915“. The 1st Battalion War Diary for that date shows it was at “Zillebeke” and “Occupying trenches 46-50; 495; 505; 51 (Dugouts)“, where it had been since the day before. [As ‘Ziebeck‘ doesn’t appear to exist, it may safely be assumed that Peter was with the 1st Battalion at Zillebeke.

The 1st Battalion had been in the line earlier in the month at Vlamertinghe and Dickebusch, but the War Diary clearly states “No casualties” on a number of those days. It is possible, of course, that Peter had been transferred to a different Battalion, but without his Service Papers it is impossible to say.

He was, however, killed in action on the 12th and buried in the Tuileries Cemetery, Sp. Mem. E. 5. [N.B. Zillebeke to Tuileries is only 650 metres.]

Peter’s younger brother, Pte. 9506 Edward James GREEN, 1st Battalion, Cheshire Regiment, arrived in France on 111th September 1914.

He died of wounds on 24th December 1914, in The Duchess of Westminster’s Hospital (No.1 B.R.C.S) in Le Touquet and is buried in Grave I.A.14. in the Le Touquet-Paris Plage Cemetery.

The Le Touquet-Paris Plage Cemetery page to read more about Pt. 9506 Edward James Green.

Back to Top of Page


Sergeant 8746 Henry Ambrose SPARROW – ‘D’ Coy             

Grave: Sp. Mem. E. 19.    Killed in Action: 25 May 1915      Age: 27

Personal: Henry was born in St Paul’s, Birkenhead, Cheshire, on 28th April 1888, the eldest son of John Ambrose Sparrow (a Shipwright) and Sarah Ann (née Kelsey) Sparrow. He was educated at St Catherine’s School, Birkenhead and St Paul’s School, Rock Ferry, Cheshire. [Source:De Ruvigny’s Roll of Honour, 1914-1919′] 

He had two older sisters, Ellen Owens and Sarah Alice, a younger brother, Albert, and two younger sisters, Louise and Florence. (1901 Census RG 13/3391)

In 1911 (Census RG 14/21984) the family were living at 102 Oliver Street Birkenhead, where Edward’s listed occupation is ‘King’s Army‘.

When Henry enlisted, aged 17 years 11 months, he stood 5 ft. 5¼ ins. [1.66 m.] tall, had a ‘fresh‘ complexion, blue eyes and brown hair.

On 7th January 1914 Henry married Mary Morrison, at the Presbyterian Church, Great Victoria Street, Belfast, Ireland. They had one son, also Henry Ambrose, born 17th October 1914, i.e. 2 months after Henry sailed for France. After Henry’s death Mary remarried (becoming Mary Holt) of 8 Kensington Street, Belfast.

[N.B. Rifleman Henry Ambrose Sparrow (Jnr.) was awarded the Military Medal in World War 2. (London Gazette 8th March 1945, p. 1301)]

Effective from 13th December 1915 Mary was awarded a Pension of £1 1s 3d for herself and their son – equivalent to about £85 per week today – 2020.

The “Register of Soldiers’ Effects“shows that in January and February 1916 Mary received his total effects of £20 7s 7d [£20.38 – equivalent to about £1,360 today – 2020]. In August 1919 she received a further £8 [£360 today] as a War Gratuity.

Sgt. Sparrow’s Grave – Sp. Mem. E. 19.

Military Service: Henry enlisted in Chester on 26th November 1907 and 3 months later was posted to the 1st Battalion. On 26th March 1912 Henry was promoted to (Paid) Lance Corporal and to Acting Sergeant on 20th March 1915. His term of service was & + 5 years, i.e. 7 years on active service followed by 5 years reserve.

During his time with the Regiment Henry had a number of runs-in with authority, being ‘Confined to Barracks‘ on a number of occasions, but in October 1913, when he qualified as a “Machine-gunner” he was assessed as “Very intelligent and hard working“.

He was a Regular Soldier serving with the 1st Battalion and at the outbreak of War, being 3 months short of the end of his 7 years active service, and was stationed with the Battalion in Londonderry. However, the ‘De Ruvigny’s Roll of Honour, 1914-1919′ states that he was a Reservist and was re-called to the Colours at the outbreak of War.

He sailed on the SS Massilia on 14th August and his Medal Card confirms that he entered France on 16th August. He fought under Captain E.R. Jones or Captain W.S. Rich on the right flank of the Battalion’s action at Audregnies on 24th August.

Henry was killed on May 25th 1915, the day that the Battle of 2nd Ypres ended when Germans took Bellewaerde Ridge and Mousetrap Farm. According to Crookenden (page 52) the 1st Battalion were along a line in front of Zillebeke from Hill 60 to the North. carrying out “demonstrations” in support of an attack in the Hooge area. “Enemy shelling was heavy and German retaliation with minenwerfer (short range mortars) was worse“.

The 1st Battalion War Diary for the day Henry was killed shows them at “Dormy House, Zillebeke”, and reads: “Headquarters re-installed at Dormy House which was partially burnt yesterday. C.O. returned from trenches at 10.30 a.m. up to which hour all quiet on our front.

Permanent look-out post established on ridge immediately N. of Head Quarters, with orders to watch Menin Road by day and patrol N & N.E. by night.” There is no record of any casualties.

The “re-installation” of H.Q. was following a gas attack the previous day, when Headquarters was moved to Tuileries. Again no casualties were recorded in the Diary, although it is possible that Henry succumbed to his injuries the following day. Without his Service Papers we cannot say.

Back to Top of Page